For Over 70 years Gilroy’s First Baptist Church has worked hard to Love Gilroy into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
In 1944 a small group of Christians gathered together and began to dream of a new work. They saw this area growing and knew that people needed to know how much God loved them. So they started meeting, and with the help of the First Southern Baptist Church of Salinas a new Mission was started.
In 1946 the mission was strong enough to support itself. Many years, and many locations later, we serve this community with the same mission and passion our charter members shared.
The great legacy of our church lives on in the thousands of men and women who have discovered just how much God loves them over the last 70 years.
We are so thankful for the faithfulness of our members, and so excited for the work God is doing in us and through us today.
Building and Land History
Our work started in Gilroy in 1944 as a Mission Church of the First Southern Baptist Church of Salinas. In September 1946, members voted to join the San Jose Southern Baptist Association. Services were held in a small building on 6th Street, behind Halls Western Clothing Store. In 1947 the Christian Church was rented and services continued there until 1948. In the early years, numerous pastors helped the church get established.
The church voted to purchase a lot located at the comer of Sixth and Hanna Streets. The first building was started in March of 1950 and was dedicated on November 12, with 134 present in Sunday School. A 2,800 square foot education building was built in 1961. In May of 1961, property was purchased on Wren Avenue.
The City of Gilroy bought the Sixth Street property in 1972. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held in July of 1974 for the Wren Avenue property. Worship services were held for the first time on March 2, 1975. The construction of an education building to the rear of the new church, was completed later in 1975. In 1981, funds were raised and construction began on a new Fellowship Hall with classrooms on the second floor. This building was dedicated on January 31, 1982.